S. Naweed Raza, M.D., FRCS(C)
S. Naweed Raza, M.D., FRCS(C)
Clinical Educator track, full time
Program Director, Head and Neck Oncology Fellowship
Director, Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery
Chief of Otolaryngology at Beaumont Hospital-Dearborn
Residency Site Director, Karmanos Cancer Institute
Chair, Karmanos Ethics Service
Dr. Naweed Raza is an Associate Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Wayne State University School of Medicine. He treats all aspects of Otolaryngology, with subspecialty in Head and Neck Oncologic and Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery. He treats all aspects of head and neck oncology, including cutaneous malignancies, salivary gland malignancies, skull base tumors and mucosal head and neck pathology. He also treats patients requiring advanced craniofacial reconstruction with local and free tissue techniques. Furthermore, he has an interest in thyroid/parathyroid disease, both benign and malignant, as well as disorders of the larynx including vocal cord paralysis and dysphonia.
Dr. Raza completed a double major in Economics and Biology at the University of Toronto in Toronto, Canada in 2001. He then received his medical degree from McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada in 2004 and pursued his residency training in Otolaryngology at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Canada. Dr. Raza completed a fellowship in Medical Ethics at the University of Manitoba in 2008 and subsequently completed a two year fellowship Head & Neck Oncologic and Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Michigan in 2012. The fellowship provided for advanced training in multidisciplinary management of complex head and neck tumors and challenging microvascular reconstruction.
Dr. Raza has presented his research at numerous national and international meetings and has published several manuscripts. He is currently completing his Masters in Public Health at the University of Michigan. His research interests include oncologic outcomes, economic evaluations and surgical ethics. Dr. Raza is the medical student Director in the Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. He is fluent in French, Urdu, and Hindi.
WSU, School of Medicine
Department of Otolaryngology
4201 St. Antoine, 5E-UHC
Detroit, MI 48201
Karmanos Cancer Center Wertz Clinic
4100 St. Antoine
Detroit, MI 48201
Beaumont Medical Park Building
18100 Oakwood Blvd, Suite 300
Dearborn, MI 48124
26400 Twelve Mile, Suite 111
Southfield, MI 48304
Awards & Honors
06/2017 Award for Excellence in Teaching - WSU - Awarded once annually to one faculty member voted on by the residents.
Post Graduate Training
Board Certification Royal College of Surgeons of Canada: Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
Fellowship 2010-2012 University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan: Advanced Training in Head & Neck Oncologic Surgery, Head & Neck Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery
Fellowship 2007-2008 University of Manitoba; Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada: Medical Ethics
Areas of Interest
- Head and Neck Surgery
- Neck Oncologic Surgery
- Microvascular Surgery
Peer Reviewed Publications (last 5 years)
1. Cramer JD, Dundar Y, Hotaling J, Raza SN, Lin H. “Development and Assessment of a Novel Composite Pathologic Risk Stratification for Surgically Resected Human Papillomavirus-Associated Oropharyngeal Cancer” JAMA Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2019 May 1. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2019.0820
2. Dundar Y, Mandle Q, Raza SN, Lin HS, Cramer J, Hotaling JM. “Submandibular Gland Invasion by Oral Cavity Cancers: A Systematic Review” Otolarngology- Head and Neck Surgery. 2019 Mar 26. EMID: 7ad50e1757129dd1.
3. Ramsey T, Hojjat H*, Yuhan B, Svider PF, Eloy JA, Folbe AJ, Raza SN, Fribley AM. “Disparities in the Impact of Nasopharyngeal Cancer: An Analysis of Global Health Burden” Laryngoscope 19-1467.R1 2019 Mar 19. DOI: 10.1002/lary.27352
4. Waxman J*, Dundar YH, Svider PF, Raza SN. “Treatment of Postoperative Chyle Fistulas with Octreotide: A Systematic Review” International Journal of Radiation Oncology-BiologyPhysics 100(5):1348-1349. April 2018 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2017.12.111
5. Hojjat H*, Svider PF*, Raza SN, Zuliani G, Carron MA, Shkoukani MA. “Economic Analysis of Using Free Fat Graft or Acellular Dermis to Prevent Post-parotidectomy Frey Syndrome". Facial Plastic Surgery June 2018 DOI: 10.1055/s-0038-1666871.
6. Yuhan B*, Nguyen B*, Svider PF*, Raza SN, Hotaling J, Chan E, Hong RS. “Osteoradionecrosis of the Temporal Bone: An Evidence-Based Approach” Otology & Neurotology 2018 Oct;39(9):1172-1183. DOI: 10.1098/MAO.0000000000001925.
7. Mir A*, Guys N*, Arianpour K*, Svider PF*, Rayess H*, Zuliani G, Raza SN, Lin H. “Negative Pressure Wound Therapy in the Head and Neck: an Evidence-Based Approach.” Laryngoscope 129(suppl 3). DOI: 10.1002/lary.27262, 2018 Aug 22, PMID: 30134500
8. Ramsey T*, Guo E*, Svider PF*, Lin H, Syeda S, Raza SN, Fribley AM. “Laryngeal Cancer: Global Socioeconomic Trends in Disease Burden and Smoking Habits. Laryngoscope doi: 10.1002/lary.27068, March 6, 2018 PMID 29508408
9. Blasco MA*, Svider PF*, Raza SN, Jacobs JR, Folbe AJ, Saraf P, Eloy JA, Baredes S, Fribley AM. “Systemic therapy for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: Historical perspectives and recent breakthroughs” Laryngoscope doi: 10.1002/lary.26629 2017 Nov; 127(11):2565-2569. PMID 28581126
10. Hanba C*, Svider PF*, Lai W*, Raza SN, Sheyn A, Eloy JA, Folbe AJ. “An Investigation of operative outcomes: Pediatric Invasive Fungal Sinusitis” Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2017 Nov;102:142-147. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2017.09.009. Epub 2017 Sep 14.
11. Rayess HM*, Nissan M*, Gupta A*, Carron MA, Raza SN, Fribley AM. “Oropharyngeal Lymphoma: A US Population Based Analysis” Oral Oncology October 2017 DOI: 10.1016/j.oralocology.2017.08.018
12. Cung TD*, Lai W*, Svider PF*, Hanba C*, Samantray J, Folbe AJ, Shkoukani M, Raza SN. “Sialendoscopy in the Management of Radioiodine-Induced Sialadenitis: A Systematic Review" Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology September 2017 DOI: 1177/0003489417732795
13. Blasco MA*, Svider, PF*, Raza SN, Jacobs JR, Folbe AJ, Saraf P, Eloy JA, Baredes S, Fribley AM. Systemic Therapy for Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Historical Perspectives and Recent Breakthroughs. Laryngoscope 2017 Jun 5 DOI:10.1002/lary.26629
14. 14. Chau L, Jabara JT, Lai W, Svider PF*, Warner BM, Lin HS, Raza SN, Fribley AM. “Topical agents for oral cancer chemoprevention: A systematic review of the literature” Oral Oncol. 2017 Apr; 67:153-159. Doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2017.02.014 PMID 28351570
15. Rayess HM*, Dezube A*, Bawab I, Raza SN, Yoo GH, Lin HS, Jacobs JR. “Tumor differentiation as a prognostic factor for Major Salivary Gland Malignancies” Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surg 2017 April 1:94599817700593, PMID: 28397573
16. Rayess HM*, Monk I*, Svider PF*, Gupta A*, Raza SN, Lin HS. “Thyroglossal Duct Cyst Carcinoma: A Systematic Review of Clinical Feature and Outcomes” Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surg. 2017 March 1:194599817696504
17. Blasco MA*, Svider PF*, Tenbrunsel T, Vellaichamy G, Yoo GH, Fribley AM, Raza SN. “Recent Trends in Oropharyngeal Cancer Funding and Public Interest” Laryngoscope 2017 Apr 11. DOI: 1002/lary.26471
18. Fribley AM, Svider PF*, Warner BM, Garshott DM, Raza SN, Kirkwood KL. “Recent Trends in Oral Cavity Cancer Research Support in the United States” Journal of Dental Research 2016 Dec 21, pp. 17–22. ISSN 0022-0345, online ISSN 1544-0591
19. Svider PF*, Blasco M*, Raza SN, Shkoukani M, Sukari A, Yoo G, Folbe AJ, Lin HS, Fribley A. “Head and Neck Cancer: Underfunded and Understudied?” Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2017 Jan; 156(1):10-13. PMID: 28045631 Epub 2016 Nov 14
20. Bobian M*, Kandinov A*, El-Kashlan N, Svider PF*, Folbe A, Mayerhoff R, Eloy JA, Raza SN “Mobile Applications and Patient Education: Are Currently Available GERD Mobile Apps Sufficient?” Laryngoscope 2016 Oct 18 DOI: 10.1002/lary.26341, PMID 27753101
21. Hanba C*, Svider PF*, Siegel B, Sheyn A, Shkoukani M, Lin HS, Raza SN “Pediatric Thyroidectomy: Hospital Course and Perioperative Complications,” Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery 2017 Feb; 156(2):360-367. PMID 28145836 epub 2016 Dec 20.
22. Hanba C*, Bobian M*, Svider PF*, Sheyn A, Siegel B, Lin HS, Raza SN. “Perioperative Considerations and Complications in Pediatric Parathyroidectomy” Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2016 Dec; 91:94-99 PMID: 27863650 Epub 2016 Oct 15
23. Rayess HM*, Gupta A*, Svider PF, Raza SN, Shkoukani M, Zuliani GF, Carron MA. “A Critical Analysis of Melanoma Malpractice Litigation: Should We Biopsy Everything? Laryngoscope 2017 Jan; 127(1):134-139 Epub 2016 Aug 2. DOI: 10.1002/lary.26167. PMID:27480801
24. Hojjat H*, Svider PF*, Folbe AJ, Raza SN, Carron MA, Shkoukani M, Merati AL, Mayerhoff RM. “Cost Effectiveness of Routine Computed Tomography in the Evaluation of Idiopathic Unilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis.” Laryngoscope 2017 Feb; 127(2):440-444. Epub 2016 Sept. 7. DOI: 10.1002/lary.26152 PMID: 27601300.
25. Zaki M*, Laszewski P, Robinette N, Saleh H, Raza N, Sukari A, Kim H. “Unresectable Extraskeletal Myxoid Chondrosarcoma of the Neck: Early Tumor Response to Chemoradiotherapy” Cureus. 2015 Dec 24;7(12): e432. DOI: 10.7759/cureus.432. PMID: 26848421
26. Johnson AP*, Svider PF* Raza SN, Zuliani G, Carron MA, Folbe AJ “An evaluation of geographic trends in the otolaryngology residency match: home is where the heart is” JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2015 May 1;141(5):424-8. DOI: 10.1001/jamaoto.2015.0219 PMID 25763804
27. Lawrence LA*, Svider PF*, Raza SN, Zuliani G, Carron MA, Folbe AJ. “Hockey Related Facial Injuries: A Population-based Analysis” Laryngoscope Aug 28, 2015 Mar;125(3):589-93 DOI: 10.1002/lary.24893, Epub 2014 Aug 28 PMID: 25169755
Associate GME director - Karmanos
Chair Medical Ethics Committee - Karmanos